Well, I certainly doubt you've got "catcher cooties," Carol, and you're certainly doing nothing wrong.
1. Let me assure you I was not put off when you passed me this evening; I had just passed you after all. Actually, I was having fun chasing you and working to catch back up (Guy & I do that to each other a lot), but had to take a break to eat dinner (yes, we were late).
2. If someone is idle for a ten-minute segment (like I was), their bullet point goes away making it look like they are gone, but they might not actually be signed out. I was not this evening, and was rather disappointed you were gone when I returned. I appreciate your having mentioned why. Hope your internet is humming tomorrow.
3. That being said, I've had similar concerns to yours. When I see a new player whose score is advancing by small increments, I am sometimes afraid it might be discouraging for them if I blow on by at my usual speed. I can't do too much about that. That's part of the reason I have taken to redeeming points only once a week.
4. I forget, are you on the west coast? If so, then when you are active in the evening, our friends in Europe are likely in bed, and players on the east coast may be getting ready to call it a night (or watch their favorite crime drama or sci-fi flick). So, you are apt to see folks signing out regardless.
5. It's obvious to me from previous postings and responses that you are loved! Truly a beloved part of our community. Nope - no cooties.
Hope some of that helps. I guess I'll execute my redemption dump now. Look forward to seeing you back in action tomorrow.
PS. 2b) I should add that, once someone signs out, it may take several minutes for their bullet point to go blank. Yours was still "on" when I first passed you, but I could see you were idle since your score was stagnant at the time. Some of the folks you pass might well have signed out before you overtook them - of course, they might have seen you coming. It took me a while to figure out that those crazy arrows and bullets only update every ten minutes.